Friday, July 25, 2008

The Miseducation of Rock Diggie!

So, this is the triumphant return of The Incredible Rock Diggie (not as exciting as you expected, huh! Well, fuck it!). Well, it was kind of hard for me to think of some pertinent subject matter to return with. I could return with my usual Hip-Hop blog (but what has Hip-Hop gave us in the past year), or politics (Obama's the man, nothing there), maybe my polemic view of religion (too deep to return with). I can't really decide, so I've got Nas' "Nigger" ("untitled", fuck that bullshit) playing in background, The Colbert Report on the television, a Heineken sitting next to the keyboard, my Palm Centro in front of me with cracked.com queued up, and a cigarette in my mouth, and I've decided I'm going to wing it and see where it goes.

So, the other day I was vibing hard off the new Nas album "Nigger" (again, fuck "untitled"). I am proud to say that I am back to being Nas' biggest fan. Lyrically, Nas is sharp as he's ever been. As I listened to the "Street Disciple", I started drifting back into my adolescence. Let me give you all an outlook on my youth. I was raised by a family of intellectuals, we spent family time answering questions on Jeopardy. My brother was an advanced student in school (I'm too damn lazy), my sister was a purveyor of art, fashion and anything outside of the "hood" mentality, my mother pushed us to work hard, and my father taught us to search for the answer to every question (probably why I'm such a big skeptic). So in my younger years, I had mainly these four people guiding me. My brother taught me everything scholastic, in our free time we use to read encyclopedias (between comic books and television). My sister plugged me into Hip-Hop, fashion, and interculturalism. My mother showed me that hard work is the path to achieving success (something I still haven't got the hang of). And my father gave me the tools to find the history and the origins of anything. I took everything that my mother, father, sister and brother taught me and formed an amalgamation, that is the basis for my current ideology. My mother, being the strongest person I've ever met, gave me the strength to fall down and get back up. My father, the most philosophical person I know, showed me how to find the deeper meaning in everything. My sister, a very sophisticated person, taught me to be an epicurean (but not to the point of avariciousness). My brother, by forcing me to read books, pushed me to further my intelligence. I know this isn't like one of my standard blog entries, but listening to Nas' "Nigger" (again, fuck "untitled"), the things he said just reminded me of my youth. The parallels of him and I growing up in the hood of Queens, the outlook on America. His lyrics about African American leaders reminded me of the discussions with my father. The mentions of beliefs of Nuwaubianism that I was raised around. It just brought me back to the days of my childhood. I just wanted to dedicate a blog entry to the people that crafted The Incredible Rock Diggie.

Even when WINNING isn't probable, losing isn't optional!

I'm going to leave you all with a video, since I feel like I kind of ripped you off on the Grand Re-Opening.

No comments: